October 15, 2001 | Ask Gael
Comfort me with meat loaf
Yes, it's awful. But here are ten escapes from stress, sadness, and fear.
1. Go to Sylvia's Soul Food (328 Lenox Avenue) restaurant in Harlem for the biscuits-and-scrambled-eggs breakfast on a weekday.
2. Taste every kind of doughnut at Krispy Kreme and choose the best.
3. If one Elvis -- peanut butter, bacon, and banana sandwich -- at Peanut Butter and Co. (240 Sullivan Street) is not enough . . . have two.
4. Go to Katz's Delicatessen (205 East Houston Street) and send a salami to any boy (or girl) in the Army.
6. Get the endorphins going with a double workout at the gym, then indulge in the "tradition never changes" meat-loaf plate and lemon icebox cake at Serendipity 3 (225 East 60th Street).
7. Hop on the back of a friend's motorcycle and go to Pearson's in Queens (71-04 35th Avenue) for Texas BBQ.
8. Buy 100 grams of fresh caviar at Petrossian (182 W. 58th Street ) to eat all by yourself on toasted bagel thins with a dab of crème fraîche.
9. Make whatever it was that your mother made for you when you were sick and stayed home from school. Eat it on a tray, in bed.
10. Drink that precious bottle of Lafite you've been saving for a special celebration.